Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

How Grad School is Like a (Half) Marathon


Three years ago La Crosse hosted its first marathon. I consider myself a runner, albeit a sporadic runner, but I have never had any desire to run a marathon. In May 2008 I ran a 10K in Boulder, CO. It was an amazing emotional race and I’ve been known to refer to it as my marathon. What got me through that race were the spectators. They were outrageous and kept me wanting to run so I could see the next best thing on the racecourse. Let me reflect; college students watching from a roof, with a bowl of “free condoms for runners” set on a table in their driveway; the slip and slide on a front lawn used by runners; then there was the inflatable chair on one lawn with a sign “Rest Stop”; not to mention the live bands or DJs at every mile. I thoroughly enjoyed that race and have yet to experience another like it.

So, beginning last night my family and I (along with great friends) continued on with our marathon tradition. We chalked supportive, funny, and inspirational messages and pictures along the path near our house that is part of the marathon racecourse. Very early this morning we set up signs with similar messages, had a table filled with foods for runners, running music, bubbles, and noisemakers. This has developed into one of my favorite family traditions.

This year my role differed a bit.

For a friend of mine this was her first half marathon. When she came to our cheering section I joined her for the next mile and a half to support her and hopefully share some of my enthusiasm with her. It was in the mid-40’s this morning with a frigid wind chill of 33. The wind was brutal. Just before I broke off from her she thanked me for supporting her throughout her training and for running this leg with her. Her thanks were so sincere and genuine when she said I would never know how much she appreciated my support. But I did understand. At that moment in time I realized I had run a marathon and it took me 3 years to finish. My marathon was grad school and this friend, who I had just met prior to beginning that marathon, steadily gave me support along the way. When I made a guest list for my graduation party who I invited focused on one question, “Who supported me and helped me get to graduation.”

In both cases, slow and steady is what gets you to the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. IF YOU THINK GRAD SCHOOL IS LIKE A MARATHON MY HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH CLASS WAS WORSE. I ONLY TOOK TWO YEARS TO FINISH IT. I THINK I COULD OF FINISHED THE MARATHON A LOT QUICKER. ( AT LEAST THE MARATHON WOULD OF ONLY TAKEN ME ABOUT 12 MONTHS)

    ReplyDelete