Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Tuscaloosa


My Facebook status for the day: “With Mother's Day around the corner I miss my mom, yet right now my thoughts are still down in Tuscaloosa. That was my home for 6 years. My mom supported me spreading my wings and drove me the 1,000 miles to get there for the first time. It was a safe place for me where friendships were born and memories were made, some even with my mom :o)”

A perfectly appropriate ribbon.
I’ve asked people I know in Tuscaloosa about organizations that are helping people meet their immediate needs so I can make a donation that will make a difference NOW in the face of the crisis. The truth is I’m not the type of person to donate money. I’m more of a time and energy giving volunteer. I want to be there helping clean-up.

Shortly after Hurricane Katrina we were in Alabama and Georgia, by sheer coincidence. We had our trip planned for months. When we found out the hotel we had a reservation in was housing hurricane victims I called daily to make sure a displaced family didn’t need our room. We, after all, could stay with friends if need be. I was on the phone with the local chapter of the Red Cross (I think that’s who I called) to find out their needs. They were in dire need of men’s underwear. When I arrived in AL I met up with a friend I’d missed and let him know that our quality time together was going to take place at Wal-Mart as I filled a shopping cart with men’s underwear.

I’m thankful I’m married to a sensible man right now, because what I want to do is pull my son out of school and jump in the van with both of my kids (and my fellow Univ. of Alabama alumnus husband!) and GO! I keep thinking there’s got to be a way we can all make a difference and help from here. I bought t-shirts and Christmas gifts from a store (www.bamastuff.com) that will be donating 100% of sales from the t-shirts, as well 20% from all orders. I know that helps, but it’s not the right fit of helping for me. The emptiness remains.

It was in Alabama, after all that I learned the feeling that accompanies volunteering. What started as a required 20 hours of volunteer service for a class didn’t end until 4 years later when I moved 1,000 miles in yet another direction.

Tuscaloosa was not only where I earned my bachelor’s degree, it was my home for 6 years. All through high school, if not longer, I yearned to spread my wings and fly away from home. Call it teenage rebellion, family frustration, or whatever you want. Leaving home for me wasn’t about not following parental rules. I had it good compared to many of my friends. I just wanted to go somewhere new and meet new people, see new things, and learn about places by being in them. The first time I stepped on the University of Alabama’s campus I knew it was where I was meant to be. It helped that my grandfather had walked the same soil 60+ years earlier. I already had a bond. After all, the University is proud of its tradition.

Thank you, Mom for giving me the opportunity to soar and for allowing me to learn from my own mistakes. Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms I know and especially to all moms directly affected by the April 27th tornadoes in and around Tuscaloosa. I miss you T’town, you were good for me.    

No comments:

Post a Comment