Today, June 4th, is the last day of school for my 2nd and 5th graders. I just brought them to school, my oldest for his last day of elementary school. This is not a post about being sad. They have both, once again, ended the school year making me proud with many accomplishments, both academic and social. They are leaving behind teachers who are proud of them and I believe their words wholeheartedly when they say they loved/enjoyed having them in their class.
No, this is a post about the actual date of the last day of school. Here, in Wisconsin one day was already factored into the school calendar for a snow day, or cold day as it was used. There were no additional days added on, usually there are just a few, so today, June 4th, is their last day of school. They started after Labor Day and had a short spring break, but I still can’t help but compare it to my last day of school, my senior year. Fellow DHS 1993 graduates know what I’m talking about. It was the year graduation was held on June 30th, teaching us all that it was the last “legal” day in CT that school could be held, giving us the bragging rights of the last graduating class in the state. If it rained and graduation couldn’t be held on the football field no one knew what the effect would be. I don’t remember the speeches, I apologize to those who worked tirelessly writing them, but I remember seeing a great friend’s smile across the field of chairs and a gray cloud overhead hoping it didn’t produce rain (which it did not). There was major construction on the school, over winter break asbestos was found so break was lengthened, the blizzard of ’93 hit in April resulting in yet more days off of school. Then, ironically, we had several days cut short because it was too hot in the building. I still remember that if it was 80° and 80% humidity on the 5th floor of the science building (it was a big school) by noon we’d have an early release. (If I remember correctly 22 years later).
The last day of school. June 4th?! Single digits of June?! Yep, not in my childhood, but in my adult life, and I’m good with that…..bring on the last day of school traditions!!! For us, it starts with a trip to the ice cream shop, what are your last day of school traditions?
| Maybe this photo was taken on June 4, 1993? |
That is a huge class. I graduated from West Salem High School in 1969. We were a much smaller group.
ReplyDeleteJUST THINK ABOUT 90 DAYS UNTIL SCHOOL START AGAIN
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY
ReplyDeleteWow, nice post! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteบาคาร่าออนไลน์
บาคาร่า
gclub จีคลับ