| Matzo balls? No. Hail? Yes. |
| "Dalmation House" |
| Hail still melting in the ground 2 hours later. |
Yesterday, Tuscaloosa, Alabama was hit with a historical tornado. Tuscaloosa aka T’town was my home for 4½ years of college plus a year and a half. I have six years of memories in that city and although some do include tornadoes, it was never anything like what hit there yesterday. I remember the sky being an eerie greenish-gray. I remember watching meteorologist James Spann pinpoint the exact minute the tornado would be at my house, as if arriving for dinner. Thankfully none ever touched down closer than 10 miles from where I was and never affected me directly. I never lived anywhere with a basement, in fact one apartment (and this was common) was on top of the parking lot garage. I recall one tornado we took coverage in the basement/tornado shelter of an engineering building on campus my then boyfriend, now husband had a key to. I remember sitting in a lab with walls so thick we couldn’t get a radio to work. We played a board game and after some time snuck up the stairs preparing ourselves to see everything around us leveled. Fortunately wasn’t the case.
You know it's bad when the meteorologist is flustered:
It’s been 6 years since I’ve been to Tuscaloosa and as I watch the images online and on TV my heart aches for all the residents of the town, especially the students who are not fro the southeast. Students like I was, who learned what to do in case of a tornado as one was quickly approaching. In college they don’t do tornado drills.
To all my friends, former colleagues, their families, UA’s faculty and student body and to my former home of Tuscaloosa I send you a heartfelt “Roll Tide”.
No comments:
Post a Comment