When I ordered a subscription to Runner’s World magazine I checked the box that allowed them to send me a daily inspirational running quote. There are humorous people working at that magazine, as they have named this daily email “Daily Kick in the Butt from Runner’s World”. Here’s a recent one I found in my inbox that really resonated with me:
“The biggest reward of marathon training is confidence. A 20- or 22-mile training run cannot be purchased, and it can't be rescinded. You are the owner of that strength, and it is a powerful force when life tries to knock you down. You have evidence of your tenacity, your ability, and your passion.” - Laura Saladino, Runner's World Challenger of the Week
After reading it I said to myself, “YES! That’s it, that’s how I felt about my half marathon.” I trained hard and honestly it’s the most dedicated I have been about a hobby in a long time, if ever.
The last few weeks of my training I found my left calf to be a bit “heavy” as I ran and was afraid I was running on an injury. After a few runs of being concerned something was wrong, when in fact it wasn’t, I changed my thinking. I remembered years ago, when I belonged to a gym I actually visited, that muscle weighs more than fat. So I decided that my calf was heavy because it was muscular! And honestly I think that was the truth.
A few things happened during and after my training that made me realize just how much I was improving my body. During an airport layover I had to run to my connecting flight and it felt like nothing! My massage therapist who I try to visit every other month told me that my back muscles were stronger. There’s no one else I would have believed had they said that to me. Then the other day I stood in front of my daughter in my sports bra and running shorts and she said, “You look tough.” I surprised myself by not flexing and grunting, “Yeah that’s right I’m tough!” after hearing that.
My goal for my original challenge race (April 10K) was to run it in under an hour…mission accomplished in 55:31.
My goal for the half marathon was simple to me (simple because I trained like a mother): run from start to finish. Mission accomplished. When I crossed the finish line I could not have run much further, I experienced the true meaning of leaving it all on the course.
In hindsight I had another goal, a subconscious goal, of feeling great when the race was over, feeling like I gave it all I had, a feeling of pride in myself, and a short recovery, proving to myself that I trained hard, and it paid off! Mission accomplished…
…so I’m running another half-marathon in November!
WHAT THE MIND OF MAN CAN CONCEIVE AND BELIEVE THE MIND OF MAN CAN ACHIEVE
ReplyDeleteRunning is so much more mental than physical and contributes greatly to your growth as a person, as you are learning. Keep at it until you get to do a marathon. After that you feel you can do anything...and you can.
ReplyDelete