| 9/20/07 |
It was 3 years and 5 months ago today that my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was the day after my birthday, my daughter was just shy of her first birthday, and I had started grad school a mere two weeks earlier. When I got the call (on my cell phone) confirming what I feared was true, I was walking out the door to take my kids (then 11 ½ months and 4 ½ years old) on walk. There was no time for tears, there was no time for asking “why” questions.
| October 2008 |
Unfortunately I knew why. My mom was an extremely heavy smoker, up until 13 years prior to being diagnosed...she quit “cold turkey” after her father passed away just three weeks after being diagnosed with stomach cancer. A vivid memory of my childhood is of being in the car with my mom who would drive with the window cracked, even in the dead of winter. The window was always open, it was never a “weather permitting” act. I remember coughing loud and exaggerated asking her to put out her cigarette and close the window.
For the second year in a row I am running in the American Cancer Society’s local run/walk in April. Please visit my fundraising page to read how the American Cancer Society helped my mom and to consider making a donation of $5 or more. Thank you.
![]() Sweet Sixteen |

No comments:
Post a Comment