Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

This House


3 bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. Eat-in kitchen. Living room. Guest room. Playroom. Laundry room. Workshop. 2-car garage. Simply put my house sounds huge and plenty of room for my family of four.

Let me put it another way.

2 bedrooms on the main level, one in the finished basement with an egress window. 2 bathrooms so small it’s a tight fit for two people, the counters in each are only two hair products/soap dispensers wide on either side. Eat in kitchen, yes, with a table that’s too large for the room so that sitting down I can reach to the silverware drawer and the refrigerator if necessary. Oh, and there’s no walking comfortably around any of the chairs. Living room is comfortable, but the furniture only allows it to be set up one way. Guest room is in the basement with no windows, so legally not a bedroom; guests sleep really well though. Playroom, also in the basement with no windows; even the bright paint on the wall doesn’t draw the kids in. Laundry room with counter and cabinets is great, no complaints there. Workshop is the size of a large rectangle walk-in closet, next to the bedroom in the basement with no ventilation. 2-car garage with “stuff” hanging from every wall and the ceiling; in some places when the cars are out I have to duck so I don’t hit a bike tire.

My number one pet peeve, especially this time of year is the lack of natural light coming in. Last year I actually moved my bed one-foot (the only space available) closer to the window.

Two nights ago while I was having a pity party for myself, centered around my house not being big enough or having the right layout, or enough light I reread some old blogs and came across this one from May 2011 at which point I put myself back into my place.

First World Problems.
• I have my own washing machine and room devoted to it.
• I have not one, but two bathrooms with clean running water and working toilets.
• My kids each have their own bedrooms and so many toys they have a playroom.
• We have a garage filled with “toys”; skis, bikes, rollerblades, sleds, scooters, helmets, sports balls of every kind, etc.
• My husband is skilled enough to turn a closet into a workshop and fill it with tools and supplies that he knows how to use to fix and build things around our house.
• I can’t rearrange my living room furniture because there are enough comfortable seats for my family and friends to sit on.
• My kitchen table is big enough to fit friends and family around. It is filled with food and supplies to feed my family with no worry on when the food will run out.
• I live in a town with fresh air and sunlight, that I want more of.

Location:
Views of the bluff, across from a park and bike path, world class, grade A neighbors.


It’s all in the way you look at things. If you don’t like what you se,e change your perspective! Oh, that and real estate is all about location, location, location!





1 comment:

  1. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. I STILL CAN NOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO MOVE MY HOME TO A BETTER LOCATION.

    ReplyDelete