At this moment in time three
friends are on my mind.
One who I had the honor of
working for, well maybe not the honor, but thanks to answering an ad I worked
for her for six months about 11 years ago. Her friendship was by far the best
thing I got out of that job, oh and the knowledge that I’m only good at selling
things when I don’t have to. Life
is busy as many of you can relate to. We don’t see each nearly as often as
either of us would like. This week, however, was an exception. Three hours
split over two days we spent cross-country skiing together. The first day there
were tears from laughter, most of which came after one of us fell. The other
day there were nearly tears as we opened our hearts to each other. There’s just
something about sharing nature’s peace that causes deep conversations.
It’s not often in my life
that I feel a connection with a potential new friend, and the second friend on
my mind I have only known since September and unfortunately she will be moving
out of the state at the end of this week. She, like me, is not from the area,
which initially drew me to her, well that and a mutual friend. She has a
wonderful fun, honest, lively personality that I appreciate and respect. She
moved her only a year and a half ago and I am not the only one sad to see her
go, she has left a lasting impression on many. I am thankful that I have had
the opportunity to share many laughs, many over margaritas, with her. She has
an awesome daughter who, even though she is 4 years older than my daughter, has
bonded with her and has shown me the importance of having positive role models
for my daughter. We will miss them both, but thanks to Facebook we will still
see each other, and I have every intention of keeping in touch. I would like to
think that I will visit them in Colorado, but the truth is that there are
friends across the country who I think about often, many on a daily basis, that
I like to think I will visit soon.
The third friend on my mind
just celebrated a milestone birthday this week, which brings me back to a short
conversation we had a few years ago that remains vivid in my mind. We were
sitting at a baseball game together talking about ways to celebrate our, then
far off, 40th birthdays. She mentioned someone she knew who celebrated
by taking a trip with their girlfriends. A fabulous idea I thought and still
have the thought in my mind. We’ve been friends for about eight years and once
again do not see each as often as I would like, but she’s never far from my
thoughts. Life got in the way this week as we tried to arrange for a birthday
lunch date. I just hope that if I haven’t been invited on the trip she’ll send
me a postcard. After all I still have a few years yet to plan my own
celebration.
Cheers to all the strong,
funny women I am fortunate enough to call my friends. I’ve done a great job of
surrounding myself with positive friends in the past dozen years or so and I
highly recommend it to you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment