Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Cookie Traditions

When I think back to my childhood Christmas memories there are just a few traditions that stand out. While my parents were still married and for a few years after they were divorced we would set up our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. Now, before you form an opinion on this particular tradition I want to note that both of my parents are Jewish and if it weren’t for this tradition my dad passed on from his childhood we wouldn’t have even “celebrated” (the commercial) Christmas.

The tradition that stood out in my mind this past Sunday though was baking cookies. It was the one time of year I remember my mom pulling out her KitchenAid stand mixer and making spritz cookies. She made a few other cookies as well such as the date nut cookies that she said my paternal grandfather particularly enjoyed, but it’s the spritz cookies that are filled with memories for me. It was my job to decorate them, and I loved it. My favorite was the ones that looked like flowers to me and I would put a chocolate chip in the center.

This memory stood out particularly on Sunday because the morning was filled with me pulling out that very same Kitchen Aid stand up mixer (that comes out a lot in my house) that my mom used and making spritz cookies, smiling while I watched my children carefully and proudly sprinkle sugar and place m & ms on the trees and wreaths. As you know from earlier posts I thoroughly enjoy baking and sharing.



Today I gave plates full of cookies to my neighbors and to my son’s teacher. I love the expressions of happiness that a plate full of cookies receive. Tomorrow morning I will prepare more plates and share more smiles.


3 comments:

  1. FIRST THE EXPRESSION OF HAPPINESS THEN THE EXPRESSION OF BEING FULL FROM EATING ALL THE HAPPINESS AND THEN THE EXPRESSION OF PAIN FROM EATING ALL THE DARN COOKIES BY YOURSELF. AND THEN THE EXPRESSION OF KNOWING YOU HAVE NO WILL POWER. NEXT TIME DON'T GIVE ANYMORE COOKIES OK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, better give the box in the mail right to Lisa then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUMM CAN NOT DO ADAM ALREADY GOT THE BOX

    ReplyDelete