Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Story Behind DDD

If the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach then the way to my heart is through my baking. I don’t even need someone to bake for me, I love baking. Compliment me on my baking and you have entered my heart. This has been quite a week for baking for me. I baked two apple pies, one choco-dot pumpkin cake, and chocolate covered pretzel rods (not truly baking, but it gives me the same high), and now pumpkin-shaped spritz cookies are in the oven. One pie was shared with my son’s school’s teachers and the cake was shared during a meeting. The choco-dot pumpkin cake recipe was shared soon after. It’s one thing to ask for a recipe because someone likes the sound of the recipe. It’s another, entirely to be asked for a recipe after watching people thoroughly enjoy the finished product. Thank you, Tracy for enthusiastically accepting to keep the leftover pieces. 



When I stopped working 5 years ago to stay home with my kids I was excited to have more baking time. What I quickly discovered was I was baking more, but I no longer had coworkers to share the finished products with. I jump at the chance to bake for others, especially if I get to choose what it is. So, it should come as no surprise that the pretzel rods and spritz cookies are for a bake sale at my daughter’s preschool/daycare. A school that I have been proud to hold a place on the Board of Directors for nearly seven years now. I served one year as the secretary. At the end of that year when offices came up for a vote I anticipated others taking the easy way out and nominating all the same officers again; as was the case with the president, vice president and treasurer. I quickly and politely interrupted with a counter offer. Please don’t nominate me for secretary and I will bring a treat to our monthly board meetings for as long as I’m on the board. Years later I continue to hold the treat position, an office I am much more passionate about than secretary.
 
During the creation of a book club, I shared that because I have two small kids and a smaller house I wouldn’t want to host, but I’d bring a treat to our meetings no matter whose house it was at. Those ladies warm my heart each month with their companionship and their stomachs.

During grad school I coined (in my head anyway) the term therapy baking. I even had a few classes that were small and intimate enough during those three and half years that I would share my cookies in.

Watching my daughter concentrate on sprinkling the Halloween sprinkles first on the pretzel rods and now on the spritz cookies is included in those rare moments when I know that memories are in the making.

I have and never have had a desire to open my own business, but if I do, it will be a small bakery named Daria’s Delectable Desserts. For Christmas last year I received a personalized 9 x 13 pan with the name on it. I love using it, but it’s not my “potluck pan”. I typically keep that one at home and smile when I use it.

Last Monday, while my son and husband were at a cub scout meeting my daughter and I were happily baking in the kitchen when the doorbell rang. I assumed that it was my son having a little fun so I called out, “Daria’s Delectable Desserts, come on in!” To my surprise I found an unknown boy scout in my entryway asking me if I’d like to buy some popcorn. After explaining that my son was a cub scout meeting I sent him away, probably with a confused brain, and I laughed outloud until tears fell. Poor kid.

On tomorrow’s agenda is making some cereal bars for our impending trip. My son and husband love them and I’d never dream of letting their stomaches down, they’re the only men’s hearts I intend on staying in forever. Chocolate chip cookies for my brother may also be baked by Wednesday. After all, he appreciates and enjoys my cookies more than any other family member.

As for now, it’s time to go, the cookies are cooled and my stomach is full of dough.

2 comments:

  1. ENJOY BAKING MY FOOT!!!! YOU ENJOY THE $5.75 YOU MAKE ON EACH ORDER!!!! I ON THE OTHER HAND CAN ONLY MAKE RESERVATIONS. I ONCE TRIED TO BAKE BUT THE DOG GOT SO SICK I SAID I WOULD NOT DO THAT AGAIN.......IT MADE THE DOG REAL HAPPY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love baking. I feels like love to me with all the aromas and the kitchen warm. But, too many calories for a WW gal so I don't do much of it any more unless I can donate them also.

    ReplyDelete