Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Every Race has a Story: Part I: The Back Story

Confession: I failed the 12-minute mile in junior high, and when I passed it I did so in 11:45.

The first time I ran was toward the end of college (approx. 15 years ago) when two friends pressured me into it. It was fun not dying under their care, I mean it was fun running with them. I ran my first 5K (Lillie Leatherwood) in Tuscaloosa, AL and enjoyed the adrenaline rush that accompanies an organized run. My then boyfriend, now husband was also pressured into running by one of the same aforementioned friends who guilted him, I mean convinced him, I mean encouraged him to run in a race she was organizing.

Together we began running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in a variety of cities. It was fun and I had found my reason to run; to prevent myself from getting breast cancer.

Now it’s time to fast forward to April 2010. My mom had passed away the June before and I hadn’t been running much, simply because I wasn’t enjoying it. (By the way those two things have nothing to do with each other). Back to April 2010, I found a local American Cancer Society 5K. It was just what I needed. I registered, raised $2,500 and felt miserable when it was over. I remember thinking I never knew so many hills could exist in a stretch of only 3.1 miles. So much for finding my passion to run.

I ran sporadically that spring and summer and then came the Oktoberfest run in September. (Yes, September, my confusion about local festivals is for another blog.) I registered for the 5 mile run and the after feeling was the exact opposite, there were also far less hills. I felt like Forrest Gump, I felt like I could run another 5 miles. I was rejuvenated! It was then that I consciously began running for the way it makes me feel afterward.

So, last Christmas I asked for gifts I really, really wanted and knew would further my enthusiasm for running. I received a new, small iPod with a clip, the Nike+ accessory to it that would track my runs, and running pants. No more excuses for not running in the winter. 35 was going to be my year of running. OK, so I only ran two times during the winter, but it was more than my not running at all the winter before.

This past April I ran the American Cancer Society 5K again, feeling more confident than the year before. My awesome son ran it alongside me and I was inspired by his ability to carry his 7 year old body up and down those hills.

It was then that I decided I was going to run one race a month.

So for my next few blog entries I will share how this goal encouraged me to sign up for races I’ve wanted to run in the past, run races I’ve been making excuses for not running for years, and how I look forward to keeping this up through the winter. 




1 comment:

  1. You have set good goals and I wish you well. Even though it was many years ago, we did the Twin Cities Marathon and even though I didn't always appreciate the practice runs, I wouldn't give up that experience for anything.

    ReplyDelete