Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Reoccurring Nightmare


My reoccurring nightmare is my teeth falling out, sometimes one, sometimes many or all. I’ve often looked up the interpretation, but nothing seems to convince me of a meaning. The dreams vary and they don’t happen at a certain time, just sporadically. I sometimes wake up with my heart racing, like this morning after I dreamed about my two lower front teeth to the right falling out. I wake up and wiggle the teeth and am convinced they are a bit loose. This morning I went straight to the medicine cabinet and took my less than daily multi vitamin and a calcium supplement. Tonight I made sure that I brushed AND flossed as thorough as possible.

So, these dreams used to be irrational, as real as they felt. Until two years. My mom passed away on a Monday two years ago on June 8th. A few days later I was sitting in her closet snacking on a soft piece of bread while cleaning things out when I felt something hard in my mouth. It was a bit of my tooth! I literally had a tooth crumbling in my mouth! Can you imagine my cold sweat and anxiety? I was 1400 miles from my dentist and my nightmare was coming true…and I’m not talking about my mom dying. Crazy, right? So, after I regained composure I realized it was half my tooth and there was absolutely no pain whatsoever. So, combine a week of eating only soft foods and my mother’s death. Not the ideal way to lose weight, but I did. In that time I also came to the conclusion that most junk food is hard. After that my paranoia increased, a few weeks later I was convinced another tooth was crumbling, but after a trip to the dentist he couldn’t find where it could have come from.



Is it a mere coincidence that today my son’s top front loose tooth became incredibly looser after jumping in the pool and clenching his jaw? I’d rather he lose a tooth than me, he has a set to spare.


No comments:

Post a Comment