Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Patriotic Independence Day to Rival Others


On July 4th my Facebook status read as follows, “I had the honor of watching 101 people become United States citizens yesterday, one of whom is a good friend. The ceremony was wonderful, emotional and my kids even got to be a part of welcoming our newest citizens by giving them their own American flags. My first reaction upon seeing the group was pride that this is what American looks like = diversity! We are a lucky country and the ceremony left me wondering and hoping that I am using my born citizenship wisely and to its fullest. Happy Independence Day!”


 One of my dearest friends texted me a few weeks ago to invite me and my family to her husband’s citizenship ceremony in just two weeks. That was the notice they were given. My immediate reaction was, “Of course I will be there! What an amazing opportunity for my kids and I to witness! A once in a lifetime opportunity*!” I, unfortunately, have missed two other milestones in her life and promised her and myself, that I would not miss this one. Her husband is a sweet, calm soul who was born in Zimbabwe. My husband, unfortunately, was unable to be away from work during this time so the kids and I trekked out on our first road trip together sans dad. What followed was a weekend of amazing memories and experiences.

Picture it: Indianapolis, IN, July 3rd, pulling into a parking lot just moments after our friends, surprising our soon to be new citizen who did not know we were coming.

The ceremony took place outside on the lawn of the President Benjamin Harrison home. Under a tent, 300 seats were placed, including 101 for our country’s newest citizens. We chose the last row where behind us grew a gorgeous maple tree with peeling bark and low branches. The tree looked to be 100 years old in my untrained eye and the four kids (my two, theirs and another friend) played around and on that tree in such a picturesque way. 

Just before the oath was taken, the judge presiding over the ceremony invited all elementary aged children to come forward and take part in the ceremony. As she called each country represented the individuals were instructed to stand and a child would approach them, hand them a small American flag, look them in the eye and shaw their hand.


My children were fortunate to hand out about three flags each and this is when the tears built up. To see our children, not just mine, but the country’s welcome new citizens to our country, the oldest being 74 years old was heartwarming. Prior to the start of the ceremony when everyone was in line I just thought, “THIS is what American looks like; different skin tones, different hair colors and different accents.” 

I thought about my two grandmothers who immigrated to the United States. My maternal grandmother in 1928 from Poland at the age of 11 who became a U.S. citizen in 1964, unbeknownst to her children, who always assumed she was a citizen. My paternal grandmother’s story is a bit more vague. Born in 1906, according to family stories it only became known that she was born in Russia, even to herself, when she applied for social security! 





* After the excitement passed I “remembered” that my Dad’s wife, my kids’ Nini, is in the middle of the journey of also becoming a United States citizen, having been born in China. I look forward to one day witness her day of naturalization as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment