Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

This Wisconsin Run was Brought to Me by Cows, of course!


Between a hamstring strain and the kids being off of school I’ve only run an average of once a week; typically on a Saturday. Last Saturday I ran with one of my usual running partners and was delighted (really can’t think of a better word) when we came upon a deer crossing a bluff road.

This morning it was unseasonably chilly, mid 50’s, it was breezy and although I was excited to be getting another 5 mile run in with the same friend two weeks in a row I was dragging my feet a bit. After putting my mind in check by remembering the frigid, snowy weather I ran through this winter I tossed my sweatshirt aside and met her at the door. I was getting bored with my usual route and with the wind out of the north I suggested we run south with the wind at our back to start and head for the ski hill 2 miles away. I warmed up quickly and as we approached the hill I heard a chorus of mooing coming from the farm just before Mt. La Crosse. It brought a smile to my face, thinking back to the time I ran this same route only to come upon a calf in the middle of the road. A true “running in Wisconsin” moment.

Feeling great we pushed ourselves into the parking lot of the ski hill (farther than I usually run up there) and was awestruck by the site before me. The cows were grazing on the ski hill! I heard about this agreement between the farmer and ski hill, but had never witnessed it firsthand. It was a beautiful sight and it was at the moment I smiled ear to ear that I thought about how happy I was that I ran this morning and how the best runs usually happen after I drag my feet to the door. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better I saw a cow and calf halfway up the double black diamond known as “Damnation”.


I wished I had my digital camera with a great zoom rather than my iPhone and even considered driving back after my run was complete, but reconsidered after thinking about how magical it was to run upon it.







2 comments:

  1. I HOPE YOU CAME HOME WITH A QUART OF MILK AND SOME CHEESE/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to have been one of the most moooooving runs you ever took.

    ReplyDelete