Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Being a Safe Adult


I like kids, actually I enjoy kids. I have worked with kids ever since I was a kid; babysitting and working as a camp counselor; mostly with three and four year olds. When I went away to college I missed having interaction with kids. After my first few years in college I had to do community service for a class and off of a list of possibilities I chose volunteering at the local domestic violence shelter, for one reason; they were looking for volunteers for their children’s support group. It evolved to occasionally working with the children in shelter too. Thus began my passion for working with children in need of a safe and trusted adult. I completed my 20 or so required hours and remained for four years, only stopping because I moved.

I love being a mom, but I still get a need fulfilled by being a safe adult to children in need. After working at another domestic violence shelter for five years as the children’s advocate, my passion led me to graduate school. There I earned my master’s degree in school counseling so that I could reach even more kids.

Currently I occasionally sub in local elementary schools; mostly the one my kids attend. I’m not a morning person by even at 7:45 in the morning a kid can make me smile simply by saying hello. I have been subbing for an extended period of time for an elementary school counselor at another school where there truly are more children in need. I thought this was an ideal situation, but I have discovered that I miss my kids. Yes, they are in school, but I am missing an hour with them in the morning, I am missing driving them to school, and I’m missing 20 minutes with them in the afternoon, and picking them up at the end of the day.

I do not get paid monetarily for being their mom, but the hugs, kisses, smiles and thank you’s make being their mom a priceless position. First and foremost I am their safe adult and I admit that I sometimes have to remind myself of that. There are so many kids I have interacted with that I wish I could “take home” but my kids must come first.

My husband is very supportive and without him I couldn’t be living this ideal life of my mine, of spending so much time with our fabulously, amazing kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment