Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

What’s another 6.9 miles?


For me, it’s a half marathon.

Not me, but I wish it was.
I think I’ve shared on here that I’m running an all women’s 10K on April 29th that I couldn’t be more excited about. When I first decided I was going to run it I was looking forward to the challenge. Then something happened along the way. A friend who I have begun looking up to like a coach, kept asking me when I was going to do a half marathon? At first I laughed at her and told her she was nuts.
Then after awhile she got me thinking. I started thinking that if I didn’t have a full-time job next (school) year I would run a half. Besides, since September I’ve experienced first hand that training and being in shape is a lot easier when I don’t have a job. I started to embrace the idea of running a half next fall. I looked for one and while I couldn’t find one that called out to me I had a revelation! WHY wait until then? I am in the best running shape I’ve ever been in and once school gets out my schedule will change any my training won’t be as routine.

Before sharing my thoughts with my “coach” or my husband (who is running the La Crosse Half – Marathon on May 6th) I ran 8 miles. I DID IT and felt great when I was done. In fact I went out to run 7 but was so hyped up I ran an extra mile…that has never happened to me before. I think I channeled Forrest Gump. So that day I came up with this list of reasons why I’m running the ½ on May 6th.

1. My house is located at mile 8 on the racecourse so I can always stop there (which I know I won’t but the idea makes running 13.1 miles a little less scary). (Oh and my kids will be there to cheer me on).

2. This is the best way I can cheer my husband on during the race and see him at the finish line (even if it’s from behind).

3. I am enjoying running at this point in my life.

4. Because I am physically and mentally strong enough.

5. To show my kids I can.

6. Because after I finish it I will be so proud of myself.

7. Because I can run 8 miles. From mile 8-10 it’s my routine running area, and I have friends to cheer me on at mile 12.

8. Because it’s now or never.

9. It’s in my hometown!

Yesterday I ran 10 miles and frankly I’m feeling unstoppable. I was less sore after 10 miles than I was after 9 last week. This experience is truly unbelievable to me.

20 years ago if someone told me I’d be a runner and have my master’s degree I would have known you were talking about someone else named Daria. I am embracing and appreciating where my life has taken me.

Good luck to you on your next goal….with some support and self-motivation you CAN do it!

AND THIS IS NO APRIL FOOL’S!



2 comments:

  1. I am wondering if your label (half-marathong was a typo, or if it is some new fancy racing gear that one wears when running a half marathon? Either way, it sounds AWEsome (as I am full of awe!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it - the adrenaline rush will carry you through!

    ReplyDelete