I am not afraid of heights but I am afraid of snakes and my children know that. I have never hidden my fear of snakes with my children, even when I wondered if it would influence their opinions on the slithering slippery looking animals. Oooo I got a chill and shivered even as I typed that. Moving on.
This past weekend we enjoyed a fun-filled family vacation to the Dells. For those of you with no connection to the Upper Midwest, that would be Wisconsin Dells, WI. Google it. The Dells are to waterparks what Vegas is to casinos.
We stayed at The Wilderness where two and three stories above the arcade was a ropes course perched high in the air. At first glance I thought it was cool and possibly fun looking. But it wasn’t until my five and a half year old daughter said, “I want to do that” that I even considered doing it. Looking back I’m pretty sure the only other people who could have convinced me to do it (most likely years, if not decades ago) would be a close girlfriend (yes, Carrie you’re the first to come to mind) or a cute boy (my husband (and son) is afraid of heights so it wouldn’t have been him).
My daughter is in gymnastics and I figured in her mind it was just a maze of balance beams, I trusted she could do it. My only concern was her somewhat recently sprained foot, so I told her we would do it in the morning, after her foot was rested from the night.
She was A-mAzing! I had so much fun, but I do have to admit that when she got scared it was when I was the most brave. After all, I had to be brave enough for two. Just as six years ago I was eating for two and keeping my body safe for both of us.
I will relish in this bonding moment, when we were two strong and brave females together, for many years.
Dude, that is so awesome! Thanks for sharing! And, how did I miss we were the same age except I am two months younger. ;) xx
ReplyDeleteThat was so much fun to read. She's a spunky one, your little girl. What incredible memories you are creating for her. It does give a new meaning to being at the end of one's rope!
ReplyDelete