Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Sunday, November 20, 2011

I’m Done Christmas Shopping

This was originally written on 11/12.

Before you get mad at me and hate me because I wear Maybelline (which I don’t) I have to disclose it’s not because I am organized or started my shopping February. I did buy the kids some clothes when I went to the outlets this summer, but they won’t view those clothes a tsheir favorite gifts, so I won’t pretend that my gift shopping started in July either. Last weekend we hired a sitter and my husband and I shopped until we dropped for 3 hours. Honestly, that was enough.

I’m done because I am pledging to myself to practice what I preach. Preach and yell are the same thing, right? As in, “We have too much stuff!!!!” I am aching to buy certain presents for my kids, but why must they have everything I want to give them? How will I be assured it will even be played with until Christmas 2012? They both have a fine number of gifts to open and a few to share. The credit card bill is reflecting our 2½ week summer road trip and a recent 4 day trip back East. I figure if I can curb my spending through this consumer filled holiday season I’ll make a dent in the debt.

(I’m also not going to pretend that we are the only people they get presents from either.)

3 comments:

  1. WHY NOT JUST TELL THEM SANTA GOT MUGGED ON THE WAY TO THEIR HOUSE AND THE POLICE ARE LOOKING FOR THE THIEF. YOU CAN ALWAYS GIVE THEM THE PHONE NUMBER OF YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPT AND LET THEM TRY TO EXPLAIN IT TO THEM.. GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Howard's comment. It's refreshing that there are people who know when enough is enough and you don't have to get caught up in the excessive side of the holidays. It's about the love and the people, not the number of packages under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Christmas Eve, visit www.noradsanta.org and maybe YOU can find the thief and collect the reward money. And to The Queen, by posting that I am done I am holding myself accountable and making myself be done.

    ReplyDelete