I never heard this phrase before moving to the Midwest, but for the past 11 winters it has become part of my winter vocabulary. And tonight it returns, with tonight’s weather prediction of -16 degrees (without wind chill). Except this morning the morning radio personalities threw a twist into my ears. It’s a good thing that it’s too cold to snow, because then we don’t have to shovel when it’s so ridiculously cold. If school is canceled, at -35 degrees, wind chill or not, I will most likely hole my kids and myself up in the house. But at some point I do have a few errands to get done. I’ll warm the minivan up, make sure we’re dressed warm and head out. After all -16 and +16 pretty much feel the same to me.
“Weather permitting” now that phrase was a part of my mom’s winter vocabulary my entire life. It was the answer to all questions from the first snowflake until the first green bud. Me: “Mom can I go to my friend’s house?” Mom: “Weather permitting.” Mom: “Can I go to the mall?” Mom: “Weather permitting.” Me: “Can you we go shopping tomorrow?” Mom: “Weather permitting.” You get the idea!
No comments:
Post a Comment