Yesterday, Martin Luther King, Jr. would have turned 86 years old. A number that seems young to me. Young in the sense that he should still be alive and enjoying grandchildren and the changes that have been made in the country he tried to bring together.
Last night I learned that Ruby Bridges, THE Ruby Bridges http://www.biography.com/people/ruby-bridges-475426, is scheduled to be the keynote speaker at our community’s MLK celebration on Monday night. I have yet to attend this event in years past merely because it doesn’t start until 7:00 pm and I am a stickler to sticking as close to my kids’ bedtimes as possible. This year, however, my husband, myself, and our 11- and 8-year old will be there by 6:00 and stay long after the last word is spoken. There are other events planned for that evening, but I most look forward to listening for a pin to drop while Ms. Bridges is speaking.
Last night my daughter read two books to me that I was proud to have had on our bookshelf for years, both children’s books; one was Ruby’s story and one was Martin’s story. When I told my daughter that I wonder what Martin would think about President Obama she wasn’t quite sure what I meant. When I explained that he was our country’s first African-American president her jaw dropped and she couldn’t believe it. Then it occurred to me, there may still be racism and discrimination in our country but I AM RAISING CHILDREN IN A WORLD WHERE AN AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENT IS “NORMAL” AND SO IS A MARRIAGE BETWEEN TWO WOMEN (OR MEN) WHO LOVE EACH OTHER! On New Year’s Eve we attended the vow renewal/government sanctioned marriage of two women I have known and admired professionally for many years. Their three children stood at the altar with them as about 100 people witnessed the love their family holds.
After my daughter read to me I began reading another book to her; this one of the story of Rosa Parks. I was proud that her teacher had talked about Rosa at school that day.
I am hoping with all my might that Ruby will be available to meet with when the evening is done. I will bring the book we have, just in case. To have her adult signature in the book about the day her six year old self walked into the white Louisiana school surrounded by U.S. Marshals would mean as much to me as the several Holocaust survivors’ signed memoirs that sit on my shelf.


No comments:
Post a Comment