Every time I sign in to Facebook it asks, "what's on my mind?" My answer is rarely short enough to fit in the status box provided. This blog is a collection of my random thoughts and reflections that answers that question.

Friday, September 26, 2014

Skunk Season?

Lately I have seen several, not just one or two or three, I mean several skunks dead on the roads; country roads, “city” roads and on roads just outside of the “city”. I have no recollection of ever seeing or smelling for that matter so many dead skunks in a short time. 

Around here it’s easy to know when it’s deer hunting season for many reasons, but one is there are more dead deer on the sides of roads as they are hit by cars while fleeing from hunters in the woods. So, today as I drove by; I took extra care not to drive over, three dead skunks in the road I wondered….is there a skunk hunting season?

I also think of my mom when I smell skunks. That sounds pretty bad doesn’t? Well, the reason is because she always enjoyed the smell of skunk; seriously who enjoys the smell of skunks?! 

Her explanation: She grew up in the city and at the age of 32 she moved to the country - Connecticut - and she told me that when she smelled skunk she knew she was in the country. So, apparently there are no city-dwelling skunks. By the looks of the roads in my city of 50,000 people I think that may be true here too.



2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, a very unusual woman your mother was. Now I enjoy the smell of a dairy barn and I suppose that puts most people off, but it stirs up those country memories for me of vising my aunt and uncle's dairy farm as a kid. I guess we all have our favorite smells from our past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHO SAID THERE ARE NO CITY DWELLING SKUNKS. I KNEW A BUNCH OF THEM AND THEY DID NOT SMELL ANY BETTER THAN THE COUNTRY ONES.

    ReplyDelete