I was getting frustrated as I
was rushing to get to work yesterday. It had suddenly started snowing and the
roads were slick. I was driving slow and thinking about how there was a good
chance I was going to be late, which I absolutely hate. It wasn’t like I was
going to be late to sit at a desk. I was on my way to talk to a class of 3-5
years about child abuse; safe vs. unsafe touches and how the blue ribbon serves
as a reminder to grownups to “keep kids safe”.
The car in front of me was
slowing down even more and that’s when I saw a white bird on the other side of
the street in the middle of the lane. I was on a residential road about a mile
and a half from my house. My
initial thought was that it was a goose which I knew made absolutely no sense,
so I thought oh it must be a turkey that would make sense! Then I realized, no
it wasn’t a turkey, only the head was white! It was a beautiful bald eagle that
was in the road not injured as I originally thought but with a squirrel in its
talons! It flew overhead to a field to eat. I pulled over and wished I had been
able to take a picture but it was too far away at this point and I sat on the
side of the road for a minute or two while I watched three crows fly down
around it. Yeah right like a bald eagle with a seven foot wingspan is going to
share with three cawing blackbirds! Not a chance, and it didn’t even flinch
when they landed.
I continued on to work with a
smile on my face and a reminder that in spite/despite the snow and ice I live
in a beautiful part of the country.
I'm sure that squirrel would have appreciated knowing the difference between good touch and bad touch that day. What an incredible thing to see. You have the gift of being able to stay in the present and appreciate what's happening ...I like that.
ReplyDelete